We Are Looking for A Chief Pilot
Are you looking for a management career position in helicopter aviation with a dynamic and fast-growing team where you can enjoy a quality of life? Lewiston, Idaho, is located in the north-central region of Idaho next to Clarkston, Washington, and along the riverbanks of the Snake and Clearwater Rivers. Lewiston has great schools, local hospitals, a renowned state college, and nearby universities. Along with a laid-back country feel, Lewiston sports world-class watersports, fishing, and hunting. Enjoy a reasonable cost of living with low taxes and an outstanding and friendly community. Lohman Helicopter is a family-owned business established in 2007 specializing in utility and powerline work and firefighting primarily on the West Coast and Canada.
Lohman Helicopter is accepting applications for the Chief Pilot position (FAR 135), preference will be given to those applicants who have experience in the utility and powerline work, Exclusive Use (EU), and Call-When-Needed (CWN) wildland fire fighting sectors and experience in Bell Medium, Bell 407 series Aircraft. We are seeking a highly qualified Chief Pilot with a high level of leadership, organization, and effective management skills. Successful candidates will have a strong background of experience in related fields, an excellent work ethic, and be willing to join a dynamic and fast-growing team. A commitment to safety and a safety culture is of utmost importance. Applicants must meet applicable FARs, otherwise, need not apply.
Apply TODAY for immediate consideration.
Summary of Duties
The Chief Pilot will be responsible for the oversight and supervision of all flight crew personnel. This position reports to the Director of Operations and will be responsible for conducting and ensuring pilots are properly trained, qualified, and proficient to complete assigned duties. This position prepares and maintains proficiency records, pilot files, flight schedules, duty time records, reports, and correspondence pertaining to flight operations. As well, the Chief Pilot will act as a company liaison with the Federal Aviation Administration and assists the Director of Operations in formulating operations policies and coordinating the implementation of those policies and training to all flight personnel.
Experience and Proficiency in the following major areas:
- Extensive flight operations experience BHT – 407/212 or similar aircraft
- Thorough knowledge of the Federal Aviation Regulations, FARs, and USFS requirements
- Aerial fire suppression and external load operations
- Experience in utility and powerline aerial operations: pole sets, wire pulls
- Precision long line and HEC experience
- FAR compliance
- Experienced with and knowledgeable of flight crew management of SMS requirements
- Strong leadership and effective management skills, ability to lead by example with integrity
- Experience in developing and building pilot operations infrastructure
- Experienced as a company liaison with the FAA
- Excellent communication (oral and written)
- Well-organized, reliable and must be able to multi-task
- Advanced PC skills – Word/Excel
- Strong observational skills and must be detail-oriented
- High level of composure and good stress management
Chief Pilot Duties
- Supervise flight crew personnel in compliance with FARs and ensure that all pilots and crew members are trained, qualified, and proficient for Parts 133, 135, and 137
- Overall guidance, supervision, and scheduling of flight crews. Approve flight schedules, assign flight crewmembers and Pilot-in-Command duties
- Advise the Director of Operations of all flight crew requirements including training, operations, and compliance
- Prepare reports, create, and modify policies and procedures, and disseminate information to flight crew personnel
- Become qualified as Check Airman in company aircraft
- Ensure aircraft are appropriately equipped for scheduled flight operations.
- Coordinate with the Director of Maintenance to ensure continued aircraft worthiness
- Ensure all pilot positions are suitably staffed through maintaining flight and duty records, a roster of qualified, current, and trained pilots
- Collaborate with the Director of Operations and Safety Manager on all incident reports to identify root causes and changes to reduce/prevent reoccurrences
- Maintain proficiency as Pilot-in-Command and Check Airman and fly as necessary to support the company flight schedule
- Maintain GOM and TM and revise as necessary
Other Duties as Assigned
- Due to the nature of small business operations, it may occasionally be necessary to fulfill task requirements of varied nature.
- This position requires relocation within an hour of Lewiston, Idaho.
- Valid and current FAA Commercial Rotorcraft Helicopter License
- Medical Class 1 or 2 (current)
- Meet FAR 135.119 requirements to serve as Chief Pilot
- Meet DOI/USFS Pilot carding requirements and 2023 interagency carding requirements
- Previously OAS carded in Bell Medium and/or Bell 206/407 series
- Previous 135 Check Ride in Bell Medium and/or Bell 206/407 series
- Relocation is desired
- Currently, OAS carded in Bell Medium and BHT – 407/212 aircraft
- Previous vertical reference experience preferred
- Firefighting and/or utility experience preferred
- Instrument rating preferred
- Additional BHT – 407/212 experience preferred
- Low Level & Recon
- Mountain Terrain
- Ext. Load <50’ Belly Hook
- Ext. Load >50’ Longline VTR
- Water/Retardant, Bucket
Employment Status: W2
Annual Salary: $100,000.00 – $150,000.00 DOE
Out of Town Per Diem: Yes
Hourly Flight Pay: Yes
Group Health & Dental: Employer paid for employee; option for employee to insure family members.
Retirement Plan: Yes
Life Insurance: Yes
Relocation Assistance: Yes
Travel and Out of Town Lodging: Company paid and arranged
Central office in Lewiston, Idaho, or satellite base in Ramona, California, Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. The Chief Pilot will be required to work/fly varied shifts for utility and powerline work, forest fire contracts, and other contracts assigned throughout the United States, Canada, and other selected sites. We are a small company and there will be flying required for the Chief Pilot.